Friday, July 6, 2007

Weekend Rhymes with Drinkend

Saturday:I have been patiently awaiting The Decemberists, Band of Horses & Andrew Bird concert for about 4 months now. They are teaming up with The Los Angeles Symphony for a Metalica-esqe romp in the Hollywood Bowl. That is, if Metallica sung about Courtesans, Petticoats, Edith Piaf and the fall of the Reich.

The Decemberists have been a favorite of mine for about 4 years now, but their newest release, The Crane Wife, left much to be desired. I do realize that as bands “grow up” they tend to shy away from 6-part harmonies, 15 guitar tracks and over-the top lyrics that are just plain fun. But these are the things that I truly loved about these Portland natives. It’s great when you can listen to an entire album and then have to read about 4 history-bookish websites to fully understand what the musician was talking about.

I’ve also saved up about $200 to be spent solely at Amoeba. That place is giant and makes me smile like a 6 year old. I’m still hoping to find Dio’s “Dream Evil”, but have had no luck thus far in San Diego, Barcelona, San Francisco, London or Dublin.

The one problem with Amoeba, other than looking around and feeling like you have no style, is that just when you’re done picking out all your records, used CDs and some random dub album, you remember that there are DVDS!! Upstairs. Shit. Not only DVDs, but really good, hard to find, and brand new music videos, concerts and boxed sets to die for. Last time I was up there I left with Bjork, Super Furry Animals, and Radiohead DVDs.

Should have saved more.

This picture reminds of myself:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: