Saturday, January 5, 2008

Movie Reviews as told through music

While I am a big fan of film--went to "film school" in LA for 6 months, studied media communications at my university--I feel hardly the same way about most movie reviews. I prefer a good description of the film's aspects-acting, cinematography, score, plot, and setting--than one person's opinion that has the ability to truly influence my thoughts on the matter before I've even taken it in.

In that spirit, I've decided to review the latest movies I've seen through lyrics. The description at the beginning is just to inform you of the general ideas and feelings the film elicited in me.

Photobucket

"Juno"
Directed by Jason Reitman
The sweet and extremely smart and funny little film that is less about the story than young Ellen Page's snappy dialogue and a the giant heart right in the middle. Witty teen Juno is accidentally impregnated by her best friend and possible love, smartly finds a "great young couple" to adopt her baby which gives way to 9 months of confusion, trials far too mature for a 16 year old, and, ultimately a view of the possibility of true love. In all of its many unconventional forms.

The song I chose is one that represents to me, the erie and all to familiar story of the "great couple's" husband, played subtly by Jason Bateman. He's the former-musician who's lovely yet traditional wife has given him one whole room in the house to contain his lost dreams. He is a coward at heart, however, hiding who he really is until far too late into Juno's pregnancy and his own lie of a marriage. You run all kinds of red lights, except the ones on your street.

"Count Sheep"
By Enon-on the "High Society" album


She's got to love herself
too bad the lens got in her way
time changing off her head
so cut off your ears and issues
this conversation's done
we've covered heads she's covered tails
she's cut off her conscience son
deep in your head and your still crying but you don't have the right
you take sides and spill it at the sink from the spite?
from the role of the honor and the gluttonous heap
you would use the whole barn up and you love to count sheep
so count sheep

this diamond's not for sale
a big advertisement in our heads
one lie won't tip the scale
for rich little beggars making big bets
they're out to mark the score
fat cat's away dead mice decay
retouching on the course
awake in the bed and lay there crooning but you don't have the right
go on open your finger for another big bite
you run all kinds of red lights except the ones on your street
when you run out of exits you can always count sheep
so count sheep


Photobucket

Atonement
Directed by Joe Wright

The film that's causing all the Oscar/Golden Globe hysteria does quite a good job of deserving all of those stars littering its advertisements. Interesting and deeply involving plot aside, this film is simply beautiful. "Pride and Prejudice" director Joe Wright (can we now consider Kiera Knightly the Uma to his Tarentino?) directs near-perfect performances from these young actors--especially the creepy and self-righteous show from young doe-eyed Saoirse Ronan. She plays the self-important 13 year old Briney Tallis--who mistakenly and mischievously misinterprets a few sensual events between the two lead lovers. Consequences of great magnitude follow.

Each and every frame of this film is composed with the care of a brilliant still photographer. I've seen it twice now, and can't help but think that the film might possibly be better without dialogue. The cinematography and score carry the true story along the way it was meant to be seen. In fact, a few almost colloquial "I'm in love" phrases from Knightly's older sister role of "Cecilia Tallis" lessen the deep longing her character is experiencing.

Just as in Juno, the character that tears apart the lives of others is a cowardly individual. Briney selfishly and deliberately sets a course of pain and disaster in the lives of those around her, but even when given the chance to atone for her sins, slinks and runs away. Those who cry and run away, live to cry another day.


Run Away
by Super Furry Animals, off the wonderful new album "Hey Venus"

I could have told you why
It would have made me cry a little
I could have told you lies
It would have made me die a little
I could have told you anything
Except the truth which burns my middle

Run away that’s what I did today
Run away there’s nothing I could have said

You found another love
Someone to wipe away your tears
I left it all behind of me
Never to turn and face my fears
We may have fought with teeth and nails
I still recall your banking details

Run away that’s what I did today
Run away there’s nothing I could have said

Those who cry and run away
Live to cry another day

Run away that’s what I did today
Run away there’s nothing I could have said
Run away that’s what I did today
Run away there’s nothing I could have said
Run away that’s what I did today
Run away there’s nothing I could have said
But cry a little
Lie a little
Die just a little


**On the lighter side of life, enjoy this silly and sweet little music video for the previous song.**

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog and interesting review. Hope to see another good review the next time I visit this blog.